Skip to main content

Most poor households remain in Minimal (IPC Phase 1) acute food insecurity

  • Remote Monitoring Report
  • Rwanda
  • February 2015
Most poor households remain in Minimal (IPC Phase 1) acute food insecurity

Download the Report

  • Key Messages
  • Key Messages
    • While about 90 percent of the country’s population is in Minimal (IPC Phase 1) acute food insecurity, the remaining 10 percent Stressed (IPC Phase 2), following the national IPC analysis, conducted by the food security cluster, in February 2015.  The population classified as Stressed, exhibited borderline food consumption scores and moderate household dietary diversity. Most reside in the southern Cassava-Coffee, East Congo Nile Highland Subsistence, and Bugesera Cassava Livelihood Zones, in Bugesera, Huye, Gisagara, Nyamagabe, Nyanza and Nyaruguru districts, neighbouring north-eastern Burundi.

    • Poor households in these livelihood zones had below-normal Season A food production, following a similarly poor harvests last year, cumulatively limiting household food stocks. Sorghum and cassava prices are also 50 and 20 percent above the five-year average, respectively, constraining purchasing power of poor households.

    • Overall, average seasonal rains are forecast for the mid-February to May 2015 Season B. Acute food insecurity is likely to ease for the worst-off households as labor opportunities expand with land preparation and planting activities through March. Subsequently, a deterioration in household food security for poor households is likely from April through May, until the harvest begins in June.

    Figures

    Figure 1

    Source:

    In remote monitoring, a coordinator typically works from a nearby regional office. Relying on partners for data, the coordinator uses scenario development to conduct analysis and produce monthly reports. As less data may be available, remote monitoring reports may have less detail than those from countries with FEWS NET offices. Learn more about our work here.

    Get the latest food security updates in your inbox Sign up for emails

    The information provided on this Website is not official U.S. Government information and does not represent the views or positions of the U.S. Agency for International Development or the U.S. Government.

    Jump back to top